Summer Tart in Winter Weather

Every now and then I get the urge to just bake, bake something I've never made before. Today I'm sharing a slice of my newly found tart knowledge.
1. There are many options for crust: pie crust, graham cracker, or short crust. But all of these crusts have something in common- you have to get whatever dough you made into a pan and bake it. I used a short crust recipe which is akin to a shortbread cookie, but I ran into a problem. I rolled my dough too thick. Because it is like a cookie dough, you should make the dough thinner in the pan, otherwise you will have a thick, dense crust. I suggest rolling your crust, if a dough, instead of just working or into the pan with your hands.
2. The filling is the best part of a tart, at least in my opinion. Choose something scrumptious and don't skimp on it! Your tart will also have more luscious cream if you learn from my mistake and roll a thinner crust.
Tip: add lemon zest to complement berries and cut through the sweet milkiness of your filling.
3. Berries. Pick your favorite!
4. Make it pretty! To get that bakery style sheen,  melt jelly on the stove (I used orange marmalade). If it seems like it won't brush on easily, add a smidge of water. Then just brush it carefully on the berries with a pastry brush, and serve with style and grace.
See you at tea,
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies