Rambutan?

Every time I go to Whole Foods, I see heaps and bushels of odd fruits and vegetables I have never heard of before. Most people would pass by these, only casting curious glances, but I must know what these exotic delicacies taste like, what one does with it, what it looks like below its spiky shell. My last taste adventure was the rambutan. I thought it looked funny, like the prickly gumballs that litter the sidewalks at my grandmother's house, so naturally I bought one. Here's what I found out...

  • The rambutan must be peeled, which is not an easy task
  • The inside is white and slightly translucent like a lychee
  • It was also quite squishy, like a lychee, and chewy
  • There is a pit that is actually inedible and toxic. This pit peels and makes it very hard to eat this weird fruit
  • Flavor: mild and slightly tart
Although tasty, the rambutan is not worth the trouble it takes to peel and remove its shell bits. *Comment if you know the secret to unlocking these funny fruits.*

Simply serve fruit salad at your next tea,
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies