I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

I'm sure we've all seen a number of increasingly strange hummus flavors surfacing in the supermarket. One of which being sweet flavors, like brownie batter. When I first heard this, I was completely appalled. Chickpeas? With chocolate? Disgusting! But then I saw some Buzzfeed article (it's always Buzzfeed) saying that it was absolutely delicious, cures cravings, tastes so chocolatey. Basically, chocolate hummus is some fudgy miracle dessert. So I had to try it, and I will try anything (within reason) once.

So I found dessert hummus at Aldi, where it was just cheap enough that if it were awful, I could throw it away without feeling guilty. I had my choice between vanilla bean and fudge brownie. Obviously I went with brownie, partly because chocolate is always better and mostly because the vanilla one looked way to much like normal hummus with black specks in it. I also couldn't imagine vanilla covering up the unmistakable taste of beans. But maybe it makes sense, beans with beans. But I'm getting off track.

From the look alone, this hummus looked dark and rich, like I was going to be spooning thick, fudgy batter onto anything I could find. Well, I should not have had that expectation because that is definitely not what I got. The chocolate flavor wasn't particularly pronounced and didn't taste completely real. That is, it tasted just like frosting from a can. There is nothing wrong with this, but it wasn't the rich brownie taste I had in mind. But it wasn't bad. That wasn't the issue, though. Taste: fine. Texture: confusing. The texture was identical to hummus. I know, what did you expect? You bought dessert hummus, genius! Yes, I know, but it looked so thick and delicious! And now I'm at least warning you. Basically, the taste may have said frosting but the mouthfeel had hummus written all over it. It was soft and mushy, which is not something that I want from chocolate. And it just made my sense of taste confused. Was I eating chocolate or hummus? The answer was a wholehearted yes. My mouth kept searching for the taste of hummus, causing me to pick up on whatever all the sugar and cocoa powder tried to hide.

Dessert hummus Was it as awful as I had initially thought,? No. Was it good? Not really. I didn't suffer while eating it, but I would not buy it again, and I probably won't finish it. You're welcome for trying this abomination so that you don't have to. I'm the hero we all needed.

Stick to savory hummus,
Christina

Comments

  1. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look . thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies