The Importance of Rereading

Bookshelf, Old, Library, Old BooksThere are just so many books. There are thousands upon thousands of novels, adding up to what must be a limitless number of pages. There are so many that it is impossible to read every book, even every good book, no matter how much I read. I will never be able to read every book on my ever expanding list, and sometimes coming to terms with this is difficult. There will be conversations I can't participate in, symbols I won't analyze, authors I may never meet. With so much page turning, I used to think that I had to constantly keep moving forward. That is, continually reading books I had never read before, expanding my repertoire of "have reads." But as I've grown older and read more books, including some that are really important to me, I have found that is not the case. Rereading a book can be just as important and transformative as discovering a new one.

I have thought of books as friends, and I think about them often, but I hadn't been a very good friend to them. I never went to check on them, see how they were doing. We would go through something together and then I would sort of leave them, having a relationship of memories and stories to tell other people. This is no way to treat a book that's really important to you. And I've known books that were really important to me and yet I didn't realize that I could and should visit them again. I wouldn't realize this lesson until going away to college. 

As I've mentioned, I have a rather deep love for The Great Gatsby, and I had found that if I am ever sad or stressed or in need of inspiration, the final page will always brighten my day. Having felt this deep connection to Gatsby and dreaming, I found myself packing my rather worn copy with me to take to college. About a week into moving many, many miles away from home, I looked to my new friend. We went on a walk to a quiet garden that I had found on campus, and I made myself at home amongst the rustle of trees and blooming flowers, my own little corner of sunshine. I hadn't made any friends that felt real to me yet, but I knew that my silly dreams must be worth it, so I opened Gatsby and we dreamed together. I sat there and lost myself in contemplation with Gatsby for half the novel, but soon I had to go and do my school work. Gatsby would still be there.

Image result for the great gatsby
I hadn't picked up the book again, unless for the last page, until the next semester when I took a class on Modern American literature. One of the novels we had to read was The Great Gatsby. I knew that I didn't have to read it again. The story was so important to me and one that I often analyzed in my head for fun that it was still very fresh, but I wanted to read it again, finish what had been waiting for me since I came to school. I started back from the beginning. I read all my original annotations, some I analyzed further, some I now disagreed with, and other little notes needed to be added. I found something new in the story this time. More symbolism, more complexity, more connections to the past. If I hadn't reread the book, these details would have been lost, and I would be someone worshipping a much more shallow interpretation of her supposed favorite book. 

But not only did the English major in me find something. I found something. The novel was more important to me now than before because now it felt as if I was really trying to reach for the green light. There wasn't just a light in my life; I was off chasing it, reaching for it. After rereading, I felt renewed at a point in the semester where I would usually feel fatigued and ready to be home. In fact, when I didn't reread the novel around the same time this last year, I felt mysteriously empty until I picked up Gatsby again.

The third time around I still found something new. I still got lost in the words. I left my visit with Gatsby reminded of how much I love to read, how powerful language can be to me, and I found myself appreciating other books even more because of it. 

As a kid, I would ask for the same story to be read every night because of how much I loved it. I was able to recite the entire book from memory. When I quote Gatsby, I feel that same joy and connection as I did when I was a child. And that's what reading should be, what rereading should be, like returning to an old friend from childhood and catching up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Tits Up, Ladies