My Love for To Kill a Mockingbird

On July 11, 1960 Harper Lee published her first novel. In fall 2011, I read To Kill a Mockingbird. Who knew my life would be changed for the better?

It was seventh grade, and one of the assignments in my English class was to read a novel every two weeks or so and then take a little reading quiz. Early on, I decided to read To Kill a Mockingbird because I had heard such good things (meaning I had heard somewhat meaningless blurbs like "great book" or "one of the American classics"). The first copy I found was a large print addition, which made the book slightly larger, which allowed me an extra two weeks to read it because it was a "long" book. This may have been a bit of a loophole...Anyways, I set out to read this book. I remember absolutely loving it, being captivated by the story, being drawn to every symbol. I wanted someone, some person in my grade, to be reading the book so that I could talk about it-- a good book makes you want to analyze and dissect each part of it. I only had myself, but I was still content.

After finishing, I craved more literature that would make me feel the same way Harper Lee's words made me feel. I had always liked English and reading, but after that moment, I realized I loved English and reading. Books were a passion, an obsession. I turned my nose up at the fun, fluffy novels my classmates were reading. From then on, somewhat snobbishly, I admit, I decided I was too good for those lowbrow books. The plot driven books I had once found so engrossing, no longer interested me. I was set on a new path. A path that has defined who I am today. From To Kill a Mockingbird, I read Of Mice and Men. From Of Mice and Men to Animal Farm. I realized that some books were going to be more important to me, more special to me than anything like The Hunger Games could ever be. It was imperative that I read novels that defined the lives of other people, that could define my own life.

Harper Lee made me see that I could be a writer. She set me on a journey that all began in a summer in Maycomb. She wrote one novel (yes, I still stand by her writing one novel) that was profound and important to her. All I needed to do was write one novel, not a trilogy, not an ever expanding series-- just one novel to be an author. I want to affect someone the same way that book affected me. I want to open someone's eyes to just how much they love reading, a love that is different than most of those around you.

Maybe a different book would have done all of this for me and it's just coincidence that it's To Kill a Mockingbird, but I don't think so. Those early classics that I read all felt important and monumental at the time, but only one of them is in my list of top five books. Only one of them is my favorite book (and for me, that is quite the honor).

I wish that Harper Lee were still alive. Then I could at least hold on to the fantasy that she would stumble across this blog and read just this post. I had always held a sort of affection and comfort in knowing that Harper Lee had been alive during my journey from reader to writer. I knew it was probably impossible, but while she was here I could dream about thanking her in person, about letting her know how much her as just a writer has influenced me (she even aided in the writing of my fourth favorite novel).

But I can relive these moments and her life by just opening a book.

Much nostalgia,
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies