The Best Ice Cream I've Ever had...thus far

If you are friends with me, maybe even just a casual pal, you have probably been asked to get ice cream with me. In fact, you probably weren't just asked to get ice cream and make plans like a normal person, but asked if you wanted to get ice cream, like, today, maybe right now, or anytime in the next 6 hours. If this describes something that has happened to you, congratulations, you are part of an elite group of people that I have invited to partake in ice cream adventures. It also means that 1) you are my friend; I like you or 2) I like you; let's become better friends. Whether I want more friends or just really like ice cream is up for debate, but needless to say, if there is an interesting ice cream flavor, I will be the one to make impromptu plans to go try it.

After that needlessly long intro, let me tell you that I will try just about anything. Goat cheese ice cream? Sure. Black ice cream? Sounds divine. If there is something weird or unique, I will make it my mission to taste it. In fact, before heading to London, I researched unique ice cream places, I research ice cream for every where that I go. This included my day trip to Tulsa. It was through a simple google search that I found Rose Rock Creamery. Between the words "microcreamery" and "smoked chocolate," they had me sold.

Getting to Rose Rock, the storefront was...quirky. It was in an old boxcar, making it fun but not really apt to eating my ice cream inside. But that doesn't matter. All that matters is the ice cream. So many flavors, ranging from classic to truly inventive. Some flavors were unique but made sense, like gooey butter cake or Thai iced tea. But some were something I would have never tasted before. A quick glance, and I found the two strangest flavors that I knew would pair well: roasted plum and smoked chocolate.

When I say a match is made in Heaven, I really mean in an ice cream cone. The chocolate was a deep, rich flavor that was intensified by the somewhat savory aspect of applewood smoke. And the plum, a roasted compote rippled through vanilla ice cream, was sweet and punctuated by the acidic qualities of the fruit. The addition of the plum to a bite of chocolate brought a brightness while the chocolate added richness. Divine. Honestly, the best ice cream pairing I have ever had. And the flavors weren't the only thing making this an out-of-body ice cream experience. The ice cream base itself was incredibly creamy and smooth. I could tell that it was fresh, made in small batches, and was not full of fillers to make it melt slower--which, trust me, is a sign of good (like Ina Garten good) ice cream.

So maybe the next time you get a weird text from me saying "Hey! Do you want to get ice cream?" you should definitely answer "Yes!!!" Because when I say we're getting ice cream, it's not just some plain, skippable ice cream. It will likely be one the best ice creams you'll ever have, and most assuredly a fun, unique experience. Oh, and maybe you'll enjoy my company. But I would go for the ice cream...

Want to get ice cream?
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Tits Up, Ladies