You're Welcome for the Smile

I've been told two very different things. "Smiles are free. You could brighten someone's day!" And, "You don't owe anyone a smile." I've always held that smiling at people, even complete strangers (just not in a city on a busy street because that is honestly a little weird), is a good thing. It spreads happiness and kindness. But now I see that there is truth in both. It's nice to smile, but you certainly aren't entitled to my happiness.

I like smiling. I try to smile at everyone that I see, especially if I know them, whether it be an acquaintance or one of my best friends. Now, I may not always recognize people right away, and that is certainly not a reflection on my relationship with that person. I get lost in thought a lot. I imagine conversations with friends, names for future pets, lines for stories that go unwritten. It's easy to see why sometimes faces become a blur.

But I still try to give a little smile (I'm not the most expressive of people). I know that a small act goes a long way, especially when you see a friend somewhere. I remember in high school there was a girl that was always smiling, big and bright. And she made my day a little better every time I saw her, and I try to be like that to a certain extent. But we can't always be like that. And that is ok.

So, if I don't smile at you, it does not mean I'm unfriendly or don't like you. It means: I'm lost in thought, I didn't see you, I just don't want to smile. We express affection differently. And I always stand by politeness, not fakeness. So yeah, if I'm about to start crying because I have a paper due in 2 days and assignments and a midterm, I may not be able to muster a smile. The fact that I give any sort of friendly gesture is kind enough, and you should appreciate it.

We should appreciate each other's smiles, because when you think I owe you one, you're taking me for granted.

I don't owe you a smile. In fact, I don't even owe you an explanation.

:),
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies