Charcoal Ice Cream? Instagram Gimmick or Actually Tasty

Ever since Instagram, there has been a flood of colorful, photogenic, and unique foods. But, these chic food trends have taken a turn for the outlandish. I mean, drinks served in lightbulbs, burgers covered in marshmallows, and don't get me started on "unicorn" or "rainbow" foods (most things should never be rainbow!). Thriving in this technicolor, toddler—designed food world is the very antithesis of color: black foods. Somewhat unnatural, these black foods are tempting. Dark and mysterious, filled with activated charcoal, could they possibly be any good? Well I never turn down trying something new...especially ice cream.

It seems that if I ever go out, it is always for ice cream. So it is no surprise that it was ice cream that brought me to the black food trend. I had heard of the ice cream from one of my favorite shops Franklin Fountain. It was a unique flavor, black, and limited time. How could I say no? Before I outline my adventure on the dark side, let me begin by saying that there is some discrepancy as to whether activated charcoal should really be eaten and in what quantity--basically the food safe vs food argument, so consume at your own risk. (I was fine, though).

I made my way down to Old City with two amazing friends that wanted to see my dream come true on the very last day the ice cream was available. The old timey soda fountain is always a bright spot on the somewhat questionable streets of Old City/South Philly (go there and you'll understand). I like to think that I fit right in with the 50s soda shop vibe. After the small panic of "cash only," I bought the famed black licorice ice cream. A quick preface, I do like black licorice, but only high quality licorice.

The soda jerk came out with my gorgeous cone, and it was...less black than one may have expected. It is more of a gray. Probably because they used charcoal as a natural coloring instead of artificial food dyes which taste bitter in large quantities, like what would be needed to make black.

We'll start most importantly with the taste, because it can look absolutely gorgeous but it's garbage if it tastes bad. The flavor was subtle and true to real black licorice. It was sweet with vanilla undertones. And if you think you don't like licorice, you probably don't know real licorice, flavored with anise oil. The flavor reminded of fresh pizzelles, which makes sense since both are flavored with anise oil.

Moving on, the texture. In a strangely pleasant way, this ice cream reminded me of wet cement. It was thick and malleable, as if I could spread it into a stepping stone mold. But maybe that association has more to do with the fact that you could feel the charcoal running through the creamy ice cream base. I wouldn't call the ice cream gritty, but I was definitely aware of some sort of finely milled powder inhabiting my ice cream. Again, strange but pleasant.

And I think that perfectly describes this black ice cream: strange but pleasant. I definitely reccomend trying this flavor in the future. It was delicious and very unique. The execution of most people's least favorite candy was superb. I think this might actually be many people's favorite ice cream...

Off to get more ice cream,
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies