More than Murder

You ever just love to read about murder? That sounds a bit, well, concerning, but most of us, if we're answering honestly, would say yes. And don't try to tell me that you don't love to read about murder and only psychopaths want to read about people dying because numbers don't lie. The most widely published works, excluding all those English class required readings of Shakespeare and, of course, the Bible, are none other than the novels of Agatha Christie. In other words, the queen of mystery. So obviously, we all have a sweet spot for murder. But despite Agatha's (yes, we're on a first name basis) inventive murder mysteries, there is so much more to this British writer than strangers on a train or chance encounters.

I love Agatha Christie, and I feel a certain connection with her as a fellow INFJ. And if she could think about crazy, creative murder scenarios without being creepy, then I can, too, right? RIGHT? And with my little friendship with this fellow writer and introvert, I have felt the need to defend her, to prove that she is more than just an entertaining mystery writer with a flare for plot twists. I think. No, I know that Agatha had more to say about the nature of people and society in her stories than just "here's a fun brain teaser to solve." And I think that it's time someone recognized her for it!

If you haven't read And Then There Were None or a Hercule Poirot mystery or Endless Night, you are really missing out. Agatha Christie can create the most ridiculous of murder plots, and I will still find myself believing the stories she creates every time. And though I love hearing about a group of sinners stranded on an island, there is clearly more to the story than well-written suspense. Agatha often seems to rely on stereotypes to create her characters, but they never seem flat. She borrows not from literary tropes but from racial and cultural stereotypes. I know this is going to sound very wrong, but Agatha's use of these stereotypes does not come off as racist or, the less morally incorrect option, lazy. You may not know this, but Agatha was a world traveller, enjoying herself all across the globe. Despite herself being British, her most intellectually talented character is Poirot, a proud Belgian. And as a British outsider, he is often able to see through the imperial ideas of his British (and inept) counterparts. Due to this, coupled with Agatha's authentic cultural experiences, we can see that she may just be presenting a societal critique aimed at her home country. You see, Poirot does not rely on stereotypes and often proves them to be incorrect, and it is the British that cannot let go of these opinions that leads them to be unable to solve a case (just read Murder on the Orient Express). Maybe I'm wrong, which I don't think I am, but we as readers should entertain this deeper interpretation of the Queen of Mystery.

I think we should also discuss my friend Agatha's -interesting- ideas about proper criminal justice. She seems obsessed with a certain type of vigilantism, making corrupt characters pay for their previous transgressions with the ultimate sacrifice: their lives. I'm certainly not saying that she is right, but she definitely did say that you could get away with murder if it were for the right reasons. What does that say about her? What does that say about society?

Maybe this blog post, is a bit too much like the beginnings of an English essay. But as I've welcomed the Halloween season, I couldn't help but think about my favorite mystery writer. And I just needed to make more people think about Agatha in a way that was more than simply murder.

So see, my friends, just because I enjoy thinking about murder (strictly for writing!), does not mean that I'm psychotic. Perhaps you all just aren't ready for my societal critique? And I doubt any of you would say the lovely Agatha Christie was creepy.

Off to think about murder,
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies