So You Didn't Get an Internship this Summer?

Coming back to college this summer, you may have seen that many of your friends got some sort of "prestigious," unpaid internship while you lounged around in your house all summer. While you sit around and hear about people in the same boat as you, fresh out of freshman year, going on about galavanting through L.A., New York, and San Fransisco, try not to feel discouraged that you wandered the aisles of the grocery store every week. I know it can seem overwhelming, because that person that says they did "nothing " this summer is me.

One of many ice cream adventures
My summer was one that featured many enriching activities. From binge watching How I Met Your Mother to waiting until that jean jacket at Target got clearanced to $10 (from $35!), I truly learned a great deal this summer that will definitely help me get an amazing job out of college. But in all seriousness, I don't think that I would trade my summer at home for even the most exclusive internship in New York City, brushing elbows with J.K. Rowling. After my first year away from home, I missed my family, and they missed me. Though I believe that I could have gotten some sort of summer engagement, I really wanted to be home. Freshman year had its ups and downs, and I believe that nothing recharges you like being home. To me, nothing could be more invaluable (and stress free) than relaxing in the heat of Arkansas...from my air conditioned house, of course. I spent my Saturdays strolling along Main Street at the farmer's market, buying spices and teas at my favorite shop, and cooking with my parents. I explored Target at least once a week, catching up with my favorite cashiers. I discovered the best way to use blueberries after picking a gallon basket at the local berry grove. I learned the best ways to make slime (I promise this was for my niece, not my secret slime Instagram). I had an amazing and stereotypical summer, just what I was looking for. I wanted to make memories, which I did. I also owed it to myself and my family, especially my little nephews and niece, to come home for more than a few weeks.

But when I returned to college, I began to question my decision. Suddenly people were telling me about how they already had their foot in the door at publishing agencies, that they new the ins and outs of publishing. They were taken for corporate lunches and featured in (small) magazines highlighting up and coming college students. That was certainly not me. Did I make a mistake? Would I never be able to get those amazing internships I had dreamt of? And I am sure that in today's hyper-pre-professionalism, I am not the only person that felt like this. Let me tell all of you, you did not make a mistake by doing "nothing." You made the right choice. Trust me.

You had fun didn't you? And you chose that path? So, it was intentional. If I'm being honest with all of you, and with myself, there aren't going to be a lot of summer vacations left. I don't know how many more I will have at home, which is always going to be the best kind of summer. Why waste one precious summer by entering the cutthroat business world early? We all seem to be in such a rush to be in the real world, that we don't realize what we are giving up. I'm not saying never get an internship or a job, but I think that we need to see the value in just being young and a little spontaneous. There is plenty of time to get that unpaid internship in the most expensive cities in the country, but once you enter, you won't leave.

If you enjoyed yourself, you did not waste time. You can never "waste" time if you chose to waste it. This post may have been a little late, as I have gotten busy reentering academic life, but I think we all need this reminder, especially during the school year. We all think we can't "waste" time by having fun and gaining experiences, but those are just as valuable and memorable to us than an extra few hours working ahead. Please, take time to be young every now and then

And please know, this is not to criticize anyone that got a fancy, real job this summer. Congratulations, you worked hard, and maybe that path was right for you. But, please, don't act like that makes you better than anyone who didn't. We all
move at a different pace and have different places that are beneficial for us to be. For me, that was on my couch, reading a book, watching Netflix, or finally taking my blog seriously.

There is no such thing as doing nothing.

You're doing great,
Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies