The Westside Local

After a 6:15 a.m. flight, an hour long layover in Florida, and less than pleasant neighbors on my flight home, I was ready for lunch. And not just a sandwich from any run of the mill airport kiosk. I wanted delicious, sumptuous, blog-worthy food. My plane took me to Kansas City, but my stomach took me to Westside Local.

The restaurant itself lives up to any foodie, hipster gastropub--exposed brick, modern art by local artists, rustic wooden benches. It was perfect. I wanted something different, a get away from dining halls (though I really shouldn't complain; they served scallops the other day...). My only complaint about as I sat down, looking at the menu, was that I did not have a clear choice of what I should order. Everything was unique, flavor combinations that perfectly melded the classic with the exciting.

I started, if I'm being honest, a little jealous of my server, who had winged eyeliner so sharp it could filet a fish and a blinding highlight...But you're probably here to listen to what I have to say about food, not my Manny Mua look-a-like server. In terms of food, I ordered the crostini trio. And with this kind of description, you can see why,

"garlic & herb green dirt cheese / french baguette / 
thyme roasted grapes, candied walnut crumble / 
prosciutto, bourbon cranberry compote / pear,
 pomegranate seeds, mint honey"

Yeah, it sounded pretty amazing. And....
it actually was.                                                                               
The crostini was perfectly toasted, the cheese provided a creamy textural contrast. In a word, it was balanced: sweet and salty; tart and mild; crunchy, crisp, and smooth. My only complaint, the cheese was just about as impressive as Alouette, but I still ate all the crumbs and was so engrossed I forgot to take pictures. Sorry!

The main course, though! This main course is one I dream about. I crave it. I imagine I'm sinking my teeth into it on a regular basis! After months on flat, preformed burgers at school, I wanted a real, meaty burger that was not cooked till it was brown inside and out. The jalapeño and jam burger was the answer to what I had long been craving. I know that to some, this sounds revolting. Jam? On a burger? With cream cheese? But trust me, it was spectacular. A soft brioche bun, buttery and light,
holding a meaty, medium-cooked patty. And spread all over this beautiful beginning is tart, spicy jalapeño cream cheese and house-made strawberry jam. Again, balance. Cooling cheese, spicy and vibrant jalapeño, sweet jam, salty burger, fatty bun. Everything was perfect.

Not to mention that all of this was paired with what my companion dubbed, "the best fries I've ever eaten." Maybe a little effusive but not far from the truth. Incredibly crisp and golden on the outside but tender and fluffy on the inside. Sounds like a normal fry, I know, but I haven't finished yet. These perfect potatoes are topped with parmesan cheese and parsley. But wait, they bake them with the cheese on top, creating an extra crust of crispy, cheesy goodness. Dip that in their homemade ketchup, and you have perfection.

You can have tea with burgers, too!
~Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Tried Dessert Hummus So You Don't Have to

Why Red (Taylor's Version) is So Much Better

Tits Up, Ladies